My hubby can make some pretty delicious biscuits but I never could get them right. I think his secret was the cold butter. He’d spend the time it took to cut that cold, hard butter into the dry ingredients and then take the even more time it took to gently mix the liquids in and not over mix.
I tend to excel more at things I can throw together quickly and don’t have to be extremely careful with. When it involves taking a lot of time, moving slowly, and being patient, I don’t do so well 😀
My Mom gave me a Country Living magazine she was finished with and there was a biscuit recipe in it and for some reason (I can’t remember at all now what I was thinking) I read the recipe. It contained lard. Remember my pie crust? The secret to that always turning out for me and tasting so much better than any other pie crust is the lard. I’m convinced of it. So I had to try those biscuits.
I didn’t have all the spices the original recipe called for so I left them out. The first batch was just basic biscuits. Since then I’ve started adding cheddar cheese to them and a bit of garlic. Heavenly!
Biscuits hot from the oven with real butter – comfort food.
I’m sharing my version of the recipe. The original can be found here.
Best Biscuits Ever
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder.
- Add the lard and work through with a fork or pastry cutter
- Put the tsp of vinegar in with the milk; add milk slowly to the dry mixture.
- Add cheese and mix just till all dry ingredients are combined.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead gently till smooth - about 2 minutes.
- roll out dough to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out biscuits and re-roll extra dough, cutting more biscuits till all are cut.
- Place in a cast-iron skillet.
- You should have 8 biscuits and they should be touching each other in the skillet.
- Bake till the tops are golden brown. Approx. 15 minutes depending on your oven.
Do you make biscuits? Have a favorite recipe? Share it if you want 🙂