I love mushrooms. Always have. Anything you can add mushrooms too just gets more delicious 🙂
My girls don’t like them so I usually don’t put them in things that they will eat without them. Like spaghetti. I love adding mushrooms to my spaghetti sauce. But the girls don’t like them and sometimes won’t even pick the mushrooms out and eat it anyway.
Last summer I made this yummy Mushroom Tart for me and my hubby. It was so yummy! I meant to share it with you then but then I couldn’t find the recipe. And I didn’t want to share the pics and not have the recipe to include. Yesterday I made some boneless wings at my husbands request, and while digging through my binder of recipes I found the recipe for this tart. So today I get to share it with you!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 slices bacon, cut up into small pieces
- 2 TBS chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 tsp. herbs de Provence
- 2 TBS white wine
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded provolone or swiss cheese
- Preheat your oven - 425°. Roll out puff pastry to fit a small tart pan, or you can free form it on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place pastry in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms - leave a couple to garnish the top with if you want.
- Cook the bacon pieces, onion, garlic, chopped mushrooms, and herbs de Provence over medium heat until bacon is fully cooked and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid. Add the wine and continue to cook until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese, stir till smooth, adding the salt and pepper. Mix in shredded cheese.
- Spoon filling into chilled pastry. Use the reserved mushrooms to garnish top if you want to.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden and the tart filling is browning a bit.
The filling could be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge till you are ready to bake it. This makes a wonderful appetizer or a great light meal when paired with a salad and a glass of your favorite wine.
I know mushrooms are one of those rather controversial foods. So tell me – do you like them? Do you cook with them? Or do you leave them at the store 😀